Who doesn´t love taking long runs for an intense exercise? These activities are invigorating, let alone fun. But it does not have to end there. Probably the one thing you want to do after a long run is take a long break. But this is not recommended as you should not put your body to an immediate halt right after strenuous exercise and cardio. So soothe down your body and stretch it with these exercises right after running:
This is practically a must after a long run. Remember that your body must cool down gradually and not abruptly. After you have made your 5- or 10-km run, for instance, a walk for a last kilometer will do wonders. Your muscles are warm and pretty elastic; a short walk will help your muscles get back to normalcy in a smooth way.
There are several stretching exercises you can put into practice. They are simple and will not cause you any pain (If they do, seek professional advice.). Here are some stretching exercises you can try:
- Thigh stretch.- While standing, hold your right foot behind you and bring your toes towards your left buttock to stretch the thigh. Repeat with the other leg.
- Hip flexor stretch.- Move your left foot forward, both feet facing forward. Place your hands on your hips. Keeping your back straight and without bending it, slowly push your buttock forward bending your left knee and keeping your right one straight and the foot flat against the floor. You must feel the stretch across the front of your hips.
- Calf stretch.- This one is similar to the one above, except that you stretch the leg you left on the back until you feel the stretch on your back.
- ITB stretch.- To do this, cross your legs, left behind the right. Bend your body towards the right and hold for 15 seconds. Repeat changing legs.
Use a foam roller
A foam roller can be used at any time and for any kind of working out. The use of the foam roller is with the purpose of avoiding the build-up of fascia on your muscles. Foam rolling is relaxing and is a good addition to your post-running routine. Make sure you pick the best fitness foam roller that adapts to your needs and level of expertise.
- Thoracic rolling.- This will help relax your spine and prevent back pains. Simply rest your back against the roller and slide up and down.
- Quad rolling.- To release those quads, place your thighs against the roller on the floor. To add to the stretch, use a band to pull your leg back while you are rolling back and forth. Repeat with the other leg.
Feel good and make your body work the best. Complete your long-running exercise with a good set of cooling down exercises.